| LETTER TO THE EDITOR
As we voters get ready to mark our ballots, some of the races will be in new or realigned districts. I concur with the recommendations for the next redistricting cycle approved by the League of Women Voters of Monterey County after observing and participating in the process this last year:
- Strongly consider separate, independent commissions to make the decisions.
- Select commissioners in a non-partisan manner to represent diverse communities of interest.
- Exclude incumbency as a consideration in map-making.
- Educate both commissions and the public on the legal framework for redistricting and the tools for map-making.
- Minimize the number of deferred voters, i.e., those who will be unable to vote during an election cycle because of placement into a new district.
- Provide a separate redistricting website, clearly labeled and updated to include schedules for public input and contact information.
- Offer hybrid (in person and virtual) meetings for maximum public participation.
- Give public notice, including bilingual publicity, well in advance of each meeting.