| Adobe Stock photo
| DO GOOD
If you ever wanted to drive an electric car but didn’t want to ask your neighbors to borrow theirs, this is your chance.
One of the best ways to learn about electric vehicles involves talking to others who already drive one and getting behind the wheel of one yourself. That’s exactly the opportunity offered at the Salinas Ride and Drive Event.
The Salinas electric vehicle event will showcase electric vehicles (EV) at all affordability levels and is an opportunity for people to view, learn about and test drive electric cars. The event will be held on Sunday, Oct. 3, from 11 a.m.–4 p.m. at the Salinas Amtrak Station.
Electric vehicle owners will be on hand to answer questions while promoting EV awareness, technology, affordability and other benefits. A wide selection of electric cars and motorcycles will be on display, and new models will be available to test drive, providing everyone with an up-close look at vehicles that are better for the environment and cheaper to maintain than conventional gas-powered cars.
The event is part of National Drive Electric Week, a celebration to raise awareness of the many benefits of all-electric, plug-in hybrid cars, trucks and motorcycles.
The Salinas Ride and Drive event is family friendly, open to the public, and free. It will offer a number of activities to let adults and kids learn, connect and experience electric transportation.
- Test Drives: Test drive one, two, or more electric vehicles, all in one location! The Ford Mustang Mach-e, Toyota Prius Prime, Chevy Bolt, Kia Niro, Volkswagen ID.4, and more will all be available. Drop-ins are welcome, or you can sign up for a test drive at Electric Vehicle Test Drive Sign-Up.
- Electric Vehicle Showcase: This event will showcase up to 20 cars and motorcycles, with EV owners on hand to share their driving experiences and answer your questions on charging, range, maintenance and vehicle prices.
- Meet Salinas Mayor Kimberly Craig: At 10:45 a.m., Mayor Craig will kick off festivities with a keynote speech and share info on the electrification efforts in Salinas.
Electric Bike Test Rides on Popular Models
- Electrification Passport Activity to Earn Prizes: Kids and adults can build knowledge while earning passport stamps from talking with community exhibitors or participating in an activity. Youngsters who participate will receive a free bike helmet or bike light (while supplies last). Adults who participate will be entered for a chance to win a new Faraday electric bike.
- Kids Fun Zone: The Fun Zone will offer Mission Z activities, including solar-powered electric car races, art drawings, and Mission Z button making.
- Financial Assistance: Learn about rebates, incentives, low-income programs, lease options, used electric vehicle sales, and how to get free EV Purchase Guidance Assistance through EVs for Everyone.
- Exhibitors include Digital Nest, Sustainable Salinas, Salinas Valley Chamber, Central Coast Community Energy (3CE), Monterey Bay Air Resource District, Monterey Salinas Transit, Transportation Agency Monterey County, Ecology Action, REI Marina, Revival Ice Cream, All About You Auto, Monterey Peninsula Power Sports, My Kia – My Nissan Salinas, Salinas Toyota, Salinas Valley Ford, Cardinale Volkswagen of Salinas and Chevrolet of Watsonville.
WHEN: Sunday, Oct. 3, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
WHERE: Amtrak Station, 11 Station Place, Salinas, CA 93901
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT: mbeva.org
Have something to say about this story? Send us a letter.