Monterey County is pleased to announce the formation of the Great Plates Delivered program to support vulnerable seniors and local businesses during the COVID-19 crisis. Seniors in need of this service and businesses interested in providing meals can sign up now to participate.
A date to begin meal delivery will be announced soon.
Through Great Plates Delivered, the County will partner with local restaurants and food providers for home delivery of up to three nutritious meals a day, seven days a week for adults 65 and older and adults 60-64 who are at high-risk from COVID-19. These vital services will help support seniors as they shelter in place.
The program will also serve as an economic stimulus relief to participating restaurants and workers that are struggling to stay afloat during the pandemic. The selection of food providers will be determined based on criteria such as:
- Environmental health compliance
- Valid business permits
- Certificate of insurance
- Ability to meet volume and nutritional standards
- Ability to source local produce/meats
- Provide local jobs and worker retention
- Location in low-income neighborhoods
- Business size
- Ability to meet cultural needs
- Location throughout the county area
Restaurants already participating in a state or federal meal service program will not be eligible to participate in Great Plates Delivered.
Those eligible for the program must fall under the following criteria:
- Individuals who are 65 or older, or 60-64 and at high-risk as defined by the CDC, including: individuals who are COVID-19 positive (as documented by a state/local public health official or medical health professional); individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19 (as documented by a state/local public health official or medical health professional), or individuals with an underlying condition.
- Individuals must live alone or with one other program-eligible adult.
- Individuals must not be currently receiving assistance from other state or federal nutrition assistance programs, such as CalFresh or Meals on Wheels.
- Individuals must affirm an inability to prepare or obtain meals.
The Great Plates Delivered program is expected to run through June 10, 2020 but may be extended.
Older residents (60 and over) that would like to receive meals can call 2-1-1 for initial screening and begin the application process.
Businesses Interested in providing meals for the Program must visit the California Office of Emergency Services (Cal-OES) website https://covid19.ca.gov/restaurants-deliver-home- meals-for-seniors/ to register. Follow up with restaurants will be done by the Monterey County Department of Social Services and formal applications will be emailed.